Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fuck You! Strong Letter to follow!

This phrase may well end up in your grand children's history books, along with "I have not yet begun to fight" and "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead!"

It's the first clear, personal sign of public defiance towards the Bush White House, who has taken to using the law to punish reporters who ask George and Scotty awkward questions, or reveal "classified materials" that relate to our evident lack of National Security.
In recent weeks, the FBI has issued hundreds of "National Security Letters," directing employers, banks, credit card companies, libraries and other entities to turn over records on reporters. Under the USA Patriot Act, those who must turn over the records are also prohibited from revealing they have done so to the subject of the federal probes.

"The significance of this cannot be overstated," says prominent New York litigator Glenn Greenwald. "In essence, while the President sits in the White House undisturbed after proudly announcing that he has been breaking the law and will continue to do so, his slavish political appointees at the Justice Department are using the mammoth law enforcement powers of the federal government to find and criminally prosecute those who brought this illegal conduct to light.

"This flamboyant use of the forces of criminal prosecution to threaten whistle-blowers and intimidate journalists are nothing more than the naked tactics of street thugs and authoritarian juntas."

Just how widespread, and uncontrolled, this latest government assault has become hit close to home last week when one of the FBI's National Security Letters arrived at the company that hosts the servers for this web site, Capitol Hill Blue.

The letter demanded traffic data, payment records and other information about the web site along with information on me, the publisher.

Now that's a problem. I own the company that hosts Capitol Hill Blue. So, in effect, the feds want me to turn over information on myself and not tell myself that I'm doing it. You'd think they'd know better.

I turned the letter over to my lawyer and told him to send the following message to the feds:

"Fuck You. Strong letter to follow."

The link leads to this design on a snappy black t-shirt. All proceeds go to Doug, if he needs them, and to the ACLU if he doesn't.
I thought about making a dime on this - because it's a great design, and I'm worth it. But I just couldn't bring myself to take a cut. I think every dime will count.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts