Monday, April 14, 2008

Police Arrest Anti-War Protester, 80, At Mall

Police Arrest Anti-War Protester, 80, At Mall

An 80-year-old church deacon was removed from the Smith Haven Mall yesterday in a wheelchair and arrested by police for refusing to remove a T-shirt protesting the Iraq War.

Police said that Don Zirkel, of Bethpage, was disturbing shoppers at the Lake Grove mall with his T-shirt, which had what they described as “graphic anti-war images.” Zirkel, a deacon at Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal in Wyandanch, said his shirt had the death tolls of American military personnel and Iraqis - 4,000 and 1 million - and the words “Dead” and “Enough.” The shirt also has three blotches resembling blood splatters.

But Zirkel said he was sitting in the food court drinking coffee with his wife Marie, 77, and several others when police and mall security officers approached and demanded they remove their anti-war T-shirts.

 blog it
Hm. Perhaps when such things start happening, we need to start thinking about making the constitution apply on property that is only deemed "private" for the legal convenience of the owners.

2 comments:

David Schantz said...

My wife used to hand paint tee shirts for a living. A lot of mine are one of a kind designed be me. They comment on issues that got my attention. I could get locked up for life.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Bob King said...

I think it's rather amusing that my immediate thought is to get all huffy and demand that you insert a link to your t-shirts. [snickerfit]

Long story, but I've been accused of advertising when I've pointed to pointed ones of mine.

I'd love to see your t-shirts. I may disagree with your t-shirts, but I will defend to the death your right to peddle them to folks who couldn't think of the idea themselves....

I use zazzle.com and cafepress.com pretty much exclusively these days.

Your wife might find either fun. Zazzle is also good for printmaking - cafepress offers stock sized prints, but you have to design for them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts