Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Did I read this right? Islam, the liberalism of the future?

Back to the future: the cartoons, liberalism, and global Islam Faisal Devji - openDemocracy:

"Back to the future: the cartoons, liberalism, and global Islam
Faisal Devji
13 - 4 - 2006
Muslim protests over the Danish cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed mark the arrival of a force challenging liberal democracy from the future: a global Islam that is inventing new forms of ethical and political practice for a global arena. Faisal Devji, author of 'Landscapes of the Jihad', maps the trajectory of this ultra-modern phenomenon."
This is a great, if long think-piece, and raises a number of intricately interrelated points that make it difficult to lift a quote.

I liked it, it made me think. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree, but it made me think, and I really, really like that.

tag: , , , , , ,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts