Sunday, July 30, 2006

More Conservative Whining.

Sound Politics: Eradicate?

Yes, there are neocons in Washington State. I know that sounds bizarrely improbable, but Seattle is a port city and you get all kinds.

But they do whine, don't they? Ain't it amusing when folks get everything politically they ever wetly dreamed of , spent years sneering at and dismissing the voices of caution and objection as being "gutless liberal cowards" and then have the temerity to WHINE when the absolutely predictable comes to pass?

I mean, what part of "Payback" do they not understand?

Eradicate?

Fortunately, I had finished my lunch when I came across this Seattle Times headline, which says that I should be eradicated.

Eradicate those who have put us in the Middle East

The headline was for a letter from a reader, Mark Lemmon. The last paragraph, which apparently inspired the headline, reads as follows:

Yes, we Americans have our own problems: We need to weed out these neocons and their globalist conspirators! It's wake-up time because the alternative is World War III.


Luckily, as I said, I had finished lunch, so reading the letter didn't ruin my appetite. But it did put me off a little to learn that Mark Lemmon, whom I have, to the best of my knowledge, never even met, wants me weeded out and, perhaps, eradicated.

...snippage...

Update: I sent a polite email to the editorial page editor, Jim Vesely, suggesting that he apologize for printing that letter, with that headline. Here's his complete reply:

No thanks, I'll stick with our earlier decision and with the headline, the dictionaries agree with our use of the words.

In a day or two, I may do a post comparing the rhetoric in the letter and in the headline to that used by some famous dictators.
My, how righteously he snorts his indignation! How dare the enemies of the neoconservative movement suggest that actions have consequences and those who are solely responsible for the actions should be held accountable?

Perhaps it isn't entirely fair that all US conservatives be considered equally responsible. But hey. This is a war, right? I belief we have been informed it's WWIII by the Usual Pundits.

I'll believe that when the rest of the world gives a flying crap about what anyone in Washington has to say - beyond trying to figure out who will be the next victim of US electoral politics.

If it seems like I'm suggesting that calling this "WWIII" is "wagging the dog" I am suggesting no such thing. I'm stating it as an evident fact. It's either intended to influence the elections or it's a pretext to suspend them "for the duration of the Emergency."

Why do I believe that? Because of the actions of the White house. Because of the timing of the violence and the objective lack of a convincing case for war.

And what did we get for advising caution and prudence, those most conservative values? We were told we were "unpatriotic." We got put on no-fly lists. We had our servers sabotaged. We have been vilified, swift-boated, even imprisoned for daring to be rich and liberal.

With hardly an exception, neocon punditry and bloggers have mindlessly shouted down any sort of balanced observation, any suggestion that this situation was going to occur.

So I think we "liberals" - and by "liberal," I mean the Neocon usage, "those who call us wingnuts " - can be forgiven for indulging in a few moments of quiet amusement as the wheels come off.

Because when your entire agenda is to "Fix their little red wagons" - it's best to check your own cotter pins first.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts